Baking: Marbled Butterfly Cupcakes
One of my earliest memories is being taught by my grandma how to make butterfly buns on a Saturday afternoon. I’ve added the marbled effect and the caramel, but the basic recipe is hers. So thanks Nanan!
For the cupcakes:
- 4 oz butter
- 4 oz flour
- 4 oz white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp whole milk
For the frosting:
- 2 oz butter
- 4oz icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- caramel sauce
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Pre heat oven to 190 C, or Gas Mark 5
- Blend softened butter with sugar and vanilla extract.
- Whisk eggs and add gradually to the mixture.
- Add flour, and then split the mixture into 2.
- Add milk and cocoa powder to one of the mixtures.
- Place a dollop of each mixture into cupcake cases: this recipe should make 12 standard sized cakes.
- Swirl mixtures together to create the marbled effect.
- Bake in oven for 15-18 minutes, until cooked through.
- Whilst cooling, blend together butter, icing sugar, vanilla extract and milk. The icing should be creamy but not too watery. If you think you’ve added to much milk, add more butter and icing sugar to compensate!
- Split the icing into 2 bowls, adding the cocoa powder to one and the caramel sauce to other.
- Cut a circular disc from the top of the cake and cut in half for the ‘wings.’ Put a blob of each icing in the hole created by the disc, adding the ‘wings’ to the side.
- Drizzle caramel sauce over the cupcakes and voilà!
OM NOM NOM!