Words Of Wisdom From The Dowager Countess
So the Dowager Countess of Grantham. Doesn’t she come out with some crazy stuff? Have you noticed that she’s always right? About everything?
Don’t believe me? Just take a look at these gems….
1. Life is a game where the player must appear ridiculous.
If anyone’s keeping score, I think I might be winning.
2. No Englishman would dream of dying in someone else’s house.
Could you imagine? It would be a total disgrace! You’d never be able to show your face in society again (though you’d be dead, so I suppose that wouldn’t be a big problem.) We English are far too classy for that shit.
3. No one wants to kiss a girl in black.
I’m not sure if this is more of an Edwardian thing, because black is very slimming- and if you spill something on yourself nobody can tell. But Mary and Sybil did get their men wearing summery frocks, so maybe Granny is on to something?
4. The truth is neither here nor there. It’s the look of the thing that matters.
Telling lies is okay if you make the lie convincing. And interesting. The Dowager Countess may have hit a moral grey area here but I’m guessing everyone is silently agreeing with her advice.
5. You can normally find an Italian who isn’t too picky.
I really hope so. It may turn out to be my only option in life.